Greetings Parker University Faculty and Staff!
We are pleased to launch an exciting new initiative on campus, and invite you to participate in the SAFE ZONE Ally Training program here at Parker University.
LGBTQ+ SAFE ZONES exist across the nation, and at Parker University we recognize the importance of these spaces that recognize gender, sexual, and romantic diversity and provide a brave space for:
- Expression of one’s own identity
- Providing resources for the LGBTQ+ community and allies
- Having important dialogues about the complexity of gender, sexual, and romantic identities
- Social change throughout the Parker University community, and beyond
- Discovering of and reflection on one’s own behaviors, activities, values... and supportively challenging others to do the same
The network of Parker University Ally SAFE ZONE Facilitators provides trainings for students, faculty, and staff who are interested in building awareness, knowledge, skills, and action to serve the LGBTQ+ community. At the conclusion of the SAFE ZONE Ally Training, participants can expect to:
- Have greater Awareness of how privilege, gender identity and sexual orientation affect individuals at Parker University.
- Be better versed in the terminology surrounding the LGBTQ+ community.
- Gain a better understanding of how individuals (including themselves) may define their own gender identity or sexual identity.
- Work on skills directly related to being a proactive bystander at Parker University and better ally within the LGBTQ+ community.
- Create goals for themselves moving forward at Parker University and be provided resources and/or know where to find them.
After completing the training, participants have the opportunity to seek designation as a Parker University Ally. Decals/stickers will be provided to allies, as well as a certificate demonstrating completion of training and a commitment to upholding SAFE ZONE Allyship.
Interested in becoming an ally? The details of the upcoming training are below. Participants should plan on attending the entire training in order to have the opportunity to serve as a visual Ally.
Date: November 8, 2019
Please also note, we hold some assumptions going into the SAFE ZONE Ally trainings. If you have any questions about the assumptions below, do not hesitate to contact us!
- Attendees of SAFE ZONE Ally Training have basic knowledge of the LGBTQ+ community.
- Attendees of SAFE ZONE Ally Training consider themselves change agents – this is not just an informational presentation.
- There is no right or wrong answer to discussion questions.
- Discussion comes from a place of respect and honesty (and sometimes ignorance), but not from a place malice or hate.
If you would like more information on SAFE ZONE in general, check out their website here: http://thesafezoneproject.com/
Thank you for your interest and we look forward to having powerful conversations at the upcoming training.
-Parker University SAFE ZONE Ally Facilitators
Is this mandatory?
No, our training is not mandatory.
Can I bring my spouse/friend/relative? I think they would enjoy this training too!
Reach our to either Sierra Jones or Ashley Long to check on availability. We hope to be able to offer this course to the general community in the future, but we are not there yet!
Will students be there?
No, we have made the decision to keep our faculty/staff training separate from our student training- although they look very similar.