The books below are available in the bookshelf located inside the CTL. Books are added throughout the year. This is not an exhaustive list. Our most current catalog is located here (click link). If you have additional books to be purchased, please let a CTL staff member know.
- Classroom Assessment Techniques: A Handbook for College Teachers. Thomas A. Angelo.
- Connecting the Dots: Developing Student Learning Outcomes & Outcome Based Assessments. Ronald S. Carriveau
- Educative Assessment: Designing Assessments to Inform and Improve Student Performance. Grant Wiggins.
- McKeachie's Teaching Tips. Wilbert McKeachie.
- Understanding by Design. Grant Wiggins.
- A Critical Thinker’s Guide to Educational Fads. Richard Paul.
- A Guide for Educators to Critical Thinking Competency Standards. Richard Paul.
- The Aspiring Thinkers Guide to Critical Thinking. Linda Elder & Richard Paul.
- Critical Thinking: Theory, Research, Practice, and Possibilities. Joanne Gainen Kurfiss.
- Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Learning and Your Life. Richard Paul and Linda Elder.
- Engaging Ideas: The Professor’s Guide to Integrating Writing, Critical Thinking, and Active Learning in the Classroom. John C. Bean.
- How Doctors Think. Jerome Groopman.
- Learning to Think Things Through: A Guide to Critical Thinking Across the Curriculum. Gerald M. Nosich.
- The Miniature Guide to Critical Thinking: Concepts and Tools. Richard Paul.
- The Miniature Guide to Taking Charge of the Human Mind. Linda Elder.
- The Thinker’s Guide for Students on How to Study and Learning a Discipline Using Critical Thinking Concepts and Tools. Richard Paul.
- A Thinker's Guide for Those Who Teach on How to Improve Student Learning: 30 Practical Ideas.Richard Paul & Linda Elder.
- The Thinker’s Guide to Analytic Thinking: How to Take Thinking Apart. Linda Elder.
- The Thinker’s Guide to Clinical Reasoning. David Hawkins.
- The Thinker’s Guide to Conscientious Citizens on How to Detect Media Bias and Propaganda. Richard Paul.
- The Thinker's Guide to Engineering Reasoning. Richard Paul & Robert Niewoehner & Linda Elder.
- The Thinker’s Guide to Fallacies: The Art of Mental Trickery and Manipulation. Richard Paul.
- The Thinker’s Guide to How To Write a Paragraph: The Art of Substantive Writing. Richard Paul
- The Thinker’s Guide to the Art of Asking Essential Questions. Linda Elder.
- The Thinker's Guide to How to Read a Paragraph: The Art of Close Reading. Richard Paul & Linda Elder.
- The Thinker’s Guide to Understanding the Foundations of Ethical Reasoning. Richard Paul.
Instructional Technology and Online Learning
- A Guide to Online Course Design: Strategies for Student Success. Tina Stavredes.
- Dynamic Lecturing: Research-Based Strategies to Enhance Lecture Effectiveness. Christine Harrington & Todd Zakrajsek.
- Online Teaching at Its Best: Merging Instructional Design with Teaching and Learning Research. Linda B. Nilson
- Teaching with Classroom Response Systems: Creating Active Learning Environments. Derek Bruff.
- The Online Teaching Survival Guide: Simple and Practical Pedagogical Tips. Judith V. Boettcher.
Leadership and Inspiration
- Academic Leadership: A Practical Guide to Chairing the Department. Daryl Leaming.
- The Courage to Teach: Exploring the Inner Landscape of a Teacher's Life. Parker J. Palmer.
- Essential Skills for a Medical Teacher: An Introduction to Teaching and Learning in Medicine. Ronald M. Harden & Jennifer M. Laidlaw.
- What the Best College Teachers Do. Ken Bain.
- Creating Engaging Discussions: Strategies for "Avoiding Crickets" in Any Size Classroom and Online. Jennifer H. Herman.
- Developing Learner-Centered Teaching: A Practical Guide for Faculty. Phyllis Blumberg.
- Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning. Peter C. Brown.
- Small Teaching: Everyday Lessons from the Science of Learning. James Lang.
- Teaching at its Best: A Research-Based Resource for College Instructors. Linda Nilson.
- Teaching Naked: How Moving Technology Out of Your College Classroom Will Improve Student Learning. José Antonio Bowen.
- The New Science of Learning: How to Learn in Harmony with Your Brain. Terry Doyle.
- Tools For Teaching. Barbara Gross Davis.
- Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery. Garr Reynolds.
- Presentation Zen Design: A Simple Visual Approach to Presenting in Today’s World. Garr Reynolds.
- Bounce: Mozart, Federer, Picasso, Beckham, and the Science of Success. Matthew Syed.
- Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience.Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi.
- Intrinsic and Extrinsic Motivation: the Search for Optimal Motivation and Performance. Carol Sansone.
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success. Carol S. Dweck.
- Teach Students How to Learn: Strategis You Can Incorporate Into Any Course To Improve Student Metacognition, Study Skills, Motivation. Saundra Y. McGuire.
- What the Best College Students Do. Ken Bain
- The Course Syllabus: A Learning-Centered Approach. Judith Grunert O’Brien.